The Star Community Choir meets each Thursday evening at Star of the Sea College for 75 mins throughout the school term. Star Past Student, Annemarie Sharry, leads the choir as Choral Director. Annemarie is the current Stacella Coordinator and co-founder and Musical Director of Melbourne based South of the River Choir.
Friends of Star of the Sea College are invited to join the choir and indulge in the choral delights of contemporary and World Music. The choir is open to all abilities and ages (post Year 12). Come along and join our amazing Star community as we make beautiful music together.
The costs are as follows:
$120 – Term 1 ($20 per session x 6)
$90 – Term 1 ($15 per session x 6)
Adult Casual Rate:
$25 per session
Concession Casual Rate:
$15 per session
Year 12 cohorts (2018 – 2022)
Venue: Sandra Diafas Room (staffroom) – Heritage Building, Star of the Sea College, 80 Martin Street, Brighton
Doors open at 6.30pm for 7.00pm start (Choir is 75 mins in duration)
Frequently Asked Questions
What do I need to bring each week?
- Please bring your own display book for sheet music and water bottle for hydration
Do I need to have choral experience?
- No choral experience required. Passion for music and community alone will help the choir thrive and sound amazing!
Do I need to know how to read music?
- No. Most of the music will be learnt by ear.
Will I need to sing solo?
- No. The choir aims to provide a safe space for all singers of varying ability. Solo opportunities for singers wishing to be challenged may be provided as identified and developed by the Choral Director.
I would like to participate in the choir but experience challenges with mobility.
- The venue is an accessible space. The Staff Room, in the newly renovated Heritage Building, is accessed via a ramp and amenities are in close proximity to the rehearsal space. Talk to our Star Community Choir Coordinator if you require further assistance.
I’m not sure I want to commit to a whole term; can I book into a ‘sing-and-see’ session for free?
- Each week is a pay-per-session experience unless advertised. This is a self-funded choir, supported by the Past Students’ Association and Star of the Sea College, which pays its musical talent each week for their time and expertise.
Can a family member or friend join the Star Community Choir too?
- The Star Community Choir has been established for all those connected to Star of the Sea College.